Sony Online Entertainment today announced that the new free-to-play puzzle adventure game James Patterson: Catch a Killer (http://apps.facebook.com/catchakiller/) is now available on Facebook. Combining the thrilling content of best-selling author, James Patterson, with the interactivity of Facebook, the social game features Patterson’s most popular character to-date, Alex Cross. By deciphering puzzles, players use technology and skill to help the forensic psychologist hunt for justice.
In the game, players can search for clues and hidden items in gritty crime scene photos, and unearth the terrifying truths behind each clue by piecing together fingerprints or unlocking DNA sequences. James Patterson: Catch a Killer also features a virtual world where players can interact with friends and invite them to play the game, gift items and publish achievements in their News Feed. Energy packs and other in-game items can also be purchased through micro-transactions using Station Cash, SOE’s virtual currency, to help in solving crimes.
“We have an incredible relationship with James Patterson and worked closely with him on the development of this game to explore interesting and creative ways we could approach his unique way of storytelling within a Facebook game environment,” said John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment. “Fans of James Patterson and crime dramas will enjoy James Patterson: Catch a Killer as it combines social gaming with the mystery and suspense of a Patterson novel to deliver an interactive and entertaining gameplay experience.”
“Sony Online Entertainment has delivered a really unique online crime drama experience,” said Author James Patterson. “I think fans of Alex Cross – and of crime stories in general – will really get into the experience of becoming a detective and solving mysteries online.”
Features of James Patterson: Catch a Killer include:
- Play Free or Upgrade: James Patterson: Catch a Killer is a free-to-play game, but players can further enhance their gameplay by unlocking new cases and purchasing a variety of items through micro-transactions.
- Solve the Puzzle, Crack the Case: Search crime scenes for evidence, examine clues, piece together fingerprints and match DNA to unlock secrets, advance gameplay and get closer to solving the case.
• Unique Enemies: Players will chase unique criminals inspired by James Patterson, such as The Changeling, Ladykiller and Anniversary Killer.
- Gritty, Realistic Graphics: Mature and edgy graphics depict gruesome scenes equivalent to what is featured in the Alex Cross novels and on crime TV shows.
- Immersive Virtual World: Create an avatar and chat with friends in the James Patterson: Catch a Killer city. Swap tips, gift items to friends or just brag about your sleuthing skills.
• Customization & Achievements: Advance through the game earning or purchasing special elite items that can be displayed or gifted to friends.