Listen up Steampunk fans, indie game developer Mechanist Games just returned from Shanghai with huge success in its demonstration of City of Steam.
- ◊ City of Steam, the story-driven, browser-based debut MMORPG from Mechanist Games, caused a sensation among the attendees and visitors. After a total redesign, the cooldown-based combat system guarantees that City of Steam has an excellent balance between real-time and strategy. Hundreds of attendees took their turn at Mechanist Games’
- ◊ corner booth to test the game. Most of them were incredibly impressed by the high-quality graphics and smooth gameplay of City of Steam. Many were interested in how such vast 3D levels could be packaged into small 1-3 MB downloads.
- ◊ Close attention should be paid to the Indie game community as the entrants in IGF China this year were full of creative innovations. Congratulations go to Feng Li and DigiPen Institute of Technology, Pixel May Cry and Void look great, fun to play and creative.
More Updates Coming Soon
- ◊ “It’s totally unexpected.” Andrew Woodruff, Marketing Manager at Mechanist Games, said: “We’re surprised at the reception we’ve got so far. We were almost hiding before; a bit frightened of public reaction to City of Steam, but now we’re thrilled and looking forward to taking the feedback we’ve received to improve the game for release.”
- ◊ Mechanist Games will focus on player input and release more information and updates as the open beta approaches.
GDC – Setup Day:
GBC – Day #1:
GBC – Day #2: